Thursday, May 5, 2011

Baby S's Eczema

So Baby S has eczema.  We're lucky in that it doesn't seem to bother him too much and for the most part it is confined to his cheeks.  At the same time, it is bad enough that strangers will ask me "What's wrong with his face?"  and I've been putting off getting his pictures done until it clears up.   The thing about eczema is that pretty much anything could cause it.  Is it the detergent I'm using?  The food I'm eating (Baby S is exclusively breastfed)?  Our dog? Our non-organic cotton sheets?  The weather?  Although most doctors believe only a small number eczema outbreaks are caused by food allergies, most moms I talked to seemed to think certain foods aggravated their kid's eczema.  I tried going off dairy for 2 weeks (my brother did, in fact, have a milk allergy growing up, so it seemed a good place to start).  Baby S's skin didn't really improve, but I questioned myself constantly.   Did his skin look a little less red?   A little more red?  I switched to soy milk and his skin seemed worse, did he have a soy allergy?  He was particularly fussy after I ate grapefruit, maybe citrus is the cause?  I could easily drive myself crazy and end up eating nothing but brown rice and avocados.

After changing our detergent, lotions and soaps, going off dairy and slathering Baby S with calendula ointment for weeks with no improvement we finally saw a dermatologist.  He diagnosed Baby S with eczema and a mild bacterial infection and gave us Mupirocin ointment for the bacterial infection, Fluticasone cream for the the eczema and told us to use Cetaphil or Aquaphor on the rest of his body to help ensure the eczema didn't spread.  Baby S's skin cleared up within a week of using the creams, but as soon as we stopped the eczema came right back.  The dermatologist put us back on the Fluticasone cream and told us to slowly wean Baby S off it, switching from twice a day to once a day to Aquaphor only over 3 weeks.  So that's what we're trying now.

I know about the risks of using steriod creams and I am not thrilled about using them--  skin damage,  reduced ability to fight skin infections, permanent discoloration, etc.  My pediatrician is also not thrilled.  In fact, at Baby S's 6 month check up she urged me to stop the cream immediately and "see what happens".   I hate it when you get conflicting advice from doctors.  Her position is that eczema is a symptom of something happening internally and the steriod just covers up the problem, it doesn't solve it.  A valid point, but I also want my baby to be comfortable and, vain as it sounds, I want to see his cute smiling face unmarred by crusty red patches.  Or at least I'd like his skin clear long enough to get a nice photograph.  So, I booked his portrait session for a few days from now and afterwards we'll start weaning him off the steriod cream.  If the rash comes back I don't think will do another round of Fluticasone, we'll stick to baths and lotions and do our best to manage.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OLG2 has eczema too. It cleared after our pediatrician gave us the following recommendation:

1. When it is red, scaly, and inflamed, apply 0.5% hydrocortisone for 10 days. If it clears in fewer than 7 days, you can stop at 7, but don't stop just because you see improvement.

2. Apply Eucerin Calming Cream 4 times daily anywhere baby usually has inflammation and anywhere the skin starts to look dry.

3. At bath time, rinse with clean water to make sure no soap residue is left on the skin.

*Hydrocortisone can cause cataracts if it gets in the eyes so we were also told to apply it as thinly as possible while baby is sleeping so it doesn't get in the eye. I applied as thin a layer as possible and then wiped away any excess.

*0.5% can be found at Target or something comparable. The pharmacist usually keeps it so you have to ask for it, but you don't need a prescription.

*Another pediatrician recommended Aquafor, but we didn't see the same result and it's really greasy.

This strategy has worked so well for us we don't need to use the steroid on a regular basis.

The final recommendation was that the Calming Cream be applied 4 times a day even when the skin is clear to prevent frequent occurrences. I keep Eucerin Calming Cream anywhere I change OLG2s diaper and apply it any time I change him.

The pediatrician acknowledged it is impossible to prevent eczema all together and it will occasionally need treatment even with the most careful attention to cream application.

I hope Baby S is doing better.

Another LA Mom said...

Thanks oneurbanmom! I'll give the Eurcerin a try. Glad you found something that works. Unfortunately, Baby S's skin is still pretty bad, even the prescription steroid cream is not helping. I'm starting to think that perhaps it is impetigo. .. back to the doctor

Patricia said...

I feel your pain! Our 8 month old has really bad eczema on his cheeks which oozes and then crusts over. Doctor gave us antibiotic cream which didn't work, then I cut wheat ( I am vegan so already don't eat dairy) and it seemed to be helping but now it's back with a vengeance. We are going to a naturopath tomorrow to get some allergy tests done. I want to try and stay away from steroid cream.. Its just breaking my heart. He gets so itchy and I feel so helpless.

Another LA Mom said...

Patricia - it really is so frustrating! Good luck with the naturopath. Love to know what he recommends.